How does an announcements-only group work?
If you want to communicate with a group, but don't want members to have the noise of replies, you can make a group that only allows announcements. Doing so will allow you as the administrator to view and receive replies, but not have those posted publicly.
Setting up an announcements-only group
Go to the settings for the group, found by clicking on the gear icon to the right of the groups browser.
Select "Disable member comment for this group" from the list of options on the right.
Click "Disable comments" to confirm you would like this feature disabled for the group.
Once comments are disabled, you will notice several things change:
1. The comments bar will disappear from the board for all members of the group. (Admins and leaders will still see the comments bar and the Compose button.)
2. By default, members will not be able to comment publicly on any announcements. (See below for how to make exceptions.)
3. Replies from members who "reply all" from an email notification or reply via text will be sent only to the author of the announcement.
Allowing replies to specific announcements
By default, replies on announcements only boards will only go to the author of the announcement, however, you can enable public comments for specific announcements if you would prefer for those to be public.
- Start by composing your announcement.
- Then click Preview in the lower right corner.
- From the preview, click on "Settings for this email..."
- Check the option "Allow recipients to reply-all to post public comments."
Now, when this particular announcement is sent, members will be able to reply all and post public comments.
Allowing public comments
If you change your mind and no longer want a group to be announcements-only, you can change the setting by:
Going to the settings for the group, found by clicking on the gear icon to the right of the groups browser.
Selecting "Enable member comment for this group" from the list of options on the right.
Clicking "Enable comments" to confirm you would like this feature enabled for the group.